Vtg Authentic Handcrafted Mini Wood Leather Barrel Top Treasure Chest Trunk Box
S washbuckling / sword fights! These words, thoughts and images come to mind when you see this quaint and charming, yet rugged, age worn and well seasoned, near perfect size captain's, pirate's, treasure chest. 8-1/4" x 12" x 9-1/2 (HxWxD) and weighs 4-lbs 4-ozs. Just the right size for storage of valuable'booty'. Anything much bigger would be to heavy to carry under one arm if one needed to'abscond' quickly! This listing presents a vintage/antique can't say antique with certainty but.... Captain's trunk, valuables storage strong box of exceptional quality, with an arts & crafts f eel. Using only solid hard wood , rawhide leather strips , brass hinges and stud/tacks , this box has a somewhat. Crude appeal - well demonstrated by the off center placement of the decorative stud/tacks that secure the decorative, slightly uneven, rough hewn leather strips. Two(2) of those rawhide leather strips serve as latch/fastener for the treasure chest. A metal D-ring is used to secure the leather latch strip and fastener which can be used to padlock the chest for security.
Very solid and sound one-of-a-kind "treasures". Crafted with great attention to construction detail, this little'box' eliminated the use of nails with the use of a technique much less seen and used in modern woodworking. Dovetailing - is an'old world' woodworking/carpentry technique that allows very secure " jointing " of wood parts without the use of nails, while providing great strength and security to the "joints".
Dovetailing, a preferred technique in carpentry and woodworking and long used by master craftsmen, is a much more time consuming process and requires a more advanced skill level in wood carpentry. With a half-barrel, domed, hump lid /cover.
And a trapezoid box bottom half, any nail usage that did occur, would have been limited to the brass hinges that connect the top and bottom, for ease in opening and closing the chest. Fine exampl e of "old fashioned" woodworking and carpentry techniques, this collector's choice is perfection wrought with imperfections.
/sideview - 9-1/2 widest point where top/bottom meet. Sides are 3/4" panels (single solid pieces) ; front/top/back are 3/8" strips/slats. See all pictures and "item specifics " above for additional details. Thank you for shopping younique_expressions!
This item is in the category "Home & Garden\Furniture\Trunks & Chests". The seller is "younique_expressions" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped to North, South, or Latin America, all countries in Europe, all countries in continental Asia, Australia.
- Leather strips - decorative: Latch strip 4-1/2\
- Item Width: 8-1/2"
- Production process: Hand crafted - meticulously constructed
- Item Length: 12 in
- Item Height: 9 1/2"
- Dimensions: 8-1/4\
- Leather strips II - decorative: 2 frontside strips 4-3/4\
- Country/Region of Manufacture: Unknown
- Material: Hardwood, leather strips, brass
- Weight: 4 lbs 4 ozs
- Standout woodworking feature: Dovetail joints - stronger support
- Wood thickness: a) side panels 3/4\
- General description II: Barrel top,frontside & backside - hardwood strips
- Brand: Handcrafted
- Item - (collectible - luggage -box): Chest / Trunk / Box
- Style: Treasure, pirate's, captain's,
- Color: Medium Wood Tone
- General description: Hinged half-barrel top - trapezoid box bottom half
- General description III: Sides of top & bottom - single hardwood pieces
- Leather strips III - decorative: 1-1/8\
- Type: Storage, strong box